Uninsured Drivers and Car Accidents

Serving Orlando, Kissimmee, and Central Florida

Although the law requires all drivers to have liability insurance, many still drive without it. According to the Insurance Research Council, Florida had the fifth highest uninsured motorist rate in the U.S. as of 2007, with 23% of drivers lacking insurance. Many who do have liability insurance only have the minimum amount of coverage required by law and not enough to cover serious injuries in a car accident. If you have been injured in a car accident involving an uninsured driver, you may be able to collect from your insurance company. Orlando car accident lawyers David Best, P.A. can help.

Florida’s “No-Fault” Law

In the state of Florida, if you have auto insurance you have $10,000 in coverage for your own medical bills and lost income. Florida law requires every policy to include this. It is called personal injury protection (PIP).

When you are injured in an auto accident, this coverage kicks in first, no matter who was at fault, whether the other driver has insurance or not. Even if the other driver is uninsured, this alone makes it worth pursuing your claim.

Uninsured and Underinsured Protection

Chances are your losses will exceed $10,000 if you are seriously injured in a car accident. The safest thing that you can do is purchase uninsured and underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage so that if you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you have reasonable protection. It is an inexpensive addition to your regular policy, and it can be very valuable.

With this coverage, you collect from your own insurance company when the other driver is uninsured. You can collect up to the amount of coverage that you have purchased.

If the other driver only has the legally required minimum coverage, their insurance will only pay $10,000 per person injured in the accident and only up to $20,000 total for the accident. If your damages exceed the other driver’s coverage your UM/UIM cover can help make up the difference.

Why You Need an Auto Accident Attorney

All of these remedies to the uninsured motorist problem still require filing claims with your insurance company. You do not automatically get paid. Your insurance company will try to find ways to avoid paying your PIP and UM/UIM claims. Even though you have paid for the coverage and you are dealing with your own insurance company, you will still have to fight to get compensation you deserve.

The entire process is more complicated when the other driver is uninsured, and it takes an experienced auto accident attorney to navigate the process and determine the amount of benefits to which you may be entitled.

If you have been injured by an uninsured motorist, please contact Florida car accident lawyers David Best, P.A. to schedule your free case evaluation and find out how you can still get the compensation that you need and deserve.

Back to main Auto Accident page