Crime can happen anywhere, but if it happens to you in or at a place of business, in a shopping mall, or in a store parking lot, you may have not only a criminal case but also a civil case. A civil legal case allows you to seek compensation for your injuries and the impact of the crime on your life and family.
Unfortunately, many crimes could have been prevented if the responsible third parties had acted to remedy potentially dangerous situations. Under premises liability law, a store owner and/or controller of the business property are responsible for the safety of those who are inside their businesses and in their parking lots. They can be held liable if crimes are committed that were reasonably foreseeable.
Because of this, many businesses, such as hotels, convenience store chains and shopping malls, regularly purchase premises liability insurance to compensate people who are injured on their property.
Crimes in or at places of business can be the result of factors such as:
- Inadequate or negligent security on the business premises (this is especially relevant if the store has a history of crime on the property or is located in a known high-crime area)
- Poor lighting in the store and/or in the parking lot
- Failure to monitor security cameras
- Failure to act on security breaches
- Faulty hiring practices
- Employees who continue to serve intoxicated patrons
- Allowing an illegal sale of a firearm, alcohol or other relevant product
The following types of crimes have been associated with victims who were in or at a place of business:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Armed robbery
- Domestic violence
- Rape and sexual assault
- Child abuse
- Hit-and-run and/or drunk driver
If you have been a victim of a crime in or at a place of business in the South Florida area, please contact the compassionate and knowledgeable Orlando attorneys at Best Law Firm Florida P.A. Our experience in personal injury law is unsurpassed, and we have a skilled investigative team ready for work on your case, to ensure you receive the legal attention and monetary compensation you deserve.